TO LEARN A LANGUAGE, YOU NEED TO KNOW THE CULTURE.
TO KNOW A CULTURE, YOU NEED TO KNOW THE LANGUAGE.
Are you aware of the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis:
- the limits and structure of language determines their user’s thoughts and actions.
- Language reflects perception, and it also reflects the history of a culture
- It explains why certain ideas and beliefs are so prominent
WHAT IS THE CULTURE OF SUCCESS AND RESILIENCE?
DO YOU SPEAK IT’S LANGUAGE?
DID YOU KNOW:
- In people who speak more than one language, studies have shown that when they switch languages, they also “switch” their personality to fit the language!
- That is, they seem to shift their way of thinking to reflect that of the people who speak the respective language.
Weiner, Bernard. (2010). Attribution Theory. 10.1002/9780470479216.corpsy0098.
Writing: Dr. Taher Chugh
Last update: March 2021