Why is home training important and how should it be done?
So, you have started training your influence over the autonomic nervous system with biofeedback in clinic; and you have surely been advised to practice these skills at home. The only way to get the skills to “stick” and ultimately cultivate into a habit is to practice regularly on your own. To have success with this, home training should be done consistently.
This means do it:
- Every day – Do not skip a day.
- At least 20 minutes per day. Make time for this, and this alone.
- In a dedicated fashion, to help you focus and apply the principles of mindfulness, you will do it sitting or lying down quietly with no distractions (i.e., don’t try to get it out of the way while cooking, driving, talking, etc.)
How will you know if you are practising the skills effectively?
With the BHTP program, we use the evu TPS device to track the three biometric variables – Heart Rate Variability (HRV), Temperature (T) and Skin Conductance (SC) – while you practise the skills you learned in clinic.
This device is the ideal training companion because of its:
What are the costs of the BHTP?
- This program is overseen by our physiotherapist, MD and the physician’s assistant. It includes weekly review of your training. We may connect with you for a home video visit if you are interested and we have recommendations to make. It is is covered by most extended health benefits under physiotherapy benefits.
- We have android tablets for rent for those that don’t have android devices.
- Fees can be found at our Uninsured Services section.