Have you heard of Ironic Process Theory?
Are you aware of the physiological and cognitive changes involved with bottling things up?
- Try not to think of a Siamese cat for the next minute.
- Were you able to do it?
Are you aware that it is more taxing to have unfinished business on your mind?
- Think back to the last time you did this.
Did you know that processing events with language is a psychologically proven tool that can change our impressions of how situations relate to us and our reactions to them?
- Bluma Zeigarnik (1927) discovered that you are more likely to remember a movie’s details if you don’t finish the ending.
- Have you ever thought you knew something but then struggled to explain it to someone?
- Were you aware that processing events with language is the cornerstone to Cognitive Processing Therapy for PTSD?
Expressive writing (or journaling) is a tool one can use to process stressful events/situations. Experiments have shown that it can improve our physiological reactions, unburden cognitive processes, improve sleep and help us process events in a manner that is more adaptive.