Causes of CRSWDs are not well understood.
Some proposed hypotheses include:
- Developmental changes in sleep-wake timing,
- Lengthening of the intrinsic circadian rhythm during adolescence,
- Changes in light exposure or sensitivity,
- Altered sensitivity of circadian system to light,
- Social, genetic, and behavioural factors, and
- Disruption (after TBI) of systems regulating the circadian rhythm (alteration of neural plasticity, suprachiasmatic nucleus function, gene expression and/or melatonin secretion).